Whats I"m Up To

9.11.2007

X-Men: Some Assembly Required

Got my hopes up this weekend, when Marvel released the above image, implying they were going to do something drastic to the X-Men, along the lines of what they did to Avengers, restarting at #1, new direction, new team. Which of course got me interested, as X-Men used to be all I read, but lost interest in recent years. Then on Monday they released these.

They havn't yet said what they will be doing with the core X-titles. But they did let us know of what the New X-titles were gonna be *Sigh* a New Cable and X-Force series. And here I was hoping this meant they'd be cutting down on X-Books. I really think they need to get it down to 1 or 2 books, refocus things, then branch out again. Get everyone back up to speed again.

Oooh X-Force, the only X-book I never read regularly ever, because they just seemed lame to me. Back in the 90's they were eXtreme and badasses, and now it looks like their eXtreme and badass again. I mean they are all wearing black, so you know they are tough. I mena if Wolverine is good, this team has X-23 as well, thats like 2 Wolverines!!

They also realeased a Cable image which has him looking like all his 90's glory, with Marvel saying it will be like no other book they publish. But I personally don't care, I've never liked Cable, don't see a need for him anymore. He represents everything complicated and rediculus about the X-Men.

*Deep breath*

The son of Cyclops and a clone of Jean Grey, infected with a Techno virus as a baby, so he was sent to the future ruled by Apocalypse where he was kind of cured and was raised by the daughter of Cyclops and Pheonix from an alternate future who was lost in the timestream. Back to Cable, he was sent back in time now a middle aged man 0to destroy Apocalypse to prevent the future he was raised in did not happen. I promise that was all from memory. Just to show my X-Men cred, heh.

Why is it when these Alternate timeline characters show up, once the future is fixed, they don't disappear since they shouldn't exist anymore. Rachel Summers, Cable, Bishop. Could have made things much simpler if they had disappeared, when their story was over. I recently read the year long space story in Uncanny X-Men, I loved it. Some characters stayed in space, and the reason even made sense. And I think it was a good way to take some characters that were overly complicated, kind of lost in purpose over the years, and get rid of them, but not kill them needlessly. Havok, Polaris, and Rachel Summers. I could go into their histories and why its a good thing they are off the table for now, but I'm sure if you read any wikipedia article you could see why.

This has become a rant, so I will end here. Tomorrow I might talk about Bendis, and his upcoming Secret Invasion. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.